Here is my studio alternative to this painting – I wasn’t happy with the composition I captured in the field, so I tried to remedy some of those things that fell flat in the original. Namely, the lighting and the foreground. I punched up the back lighting on the middle band of trees and eliminated the bushes in the foreground that were drawing attention away from the focal point. All in all, I like the composition better on this one, but it still doesn’t stack up to the real thing. It also needs some polish – the trees could bear to look a little more like trees and not blobs. Blobs are acceptable in a field painting when there’s limited time, but probably not in a studio painting. Unfortunately I didn’t get too many good sketches or photos of this spot. This is where having a better memory would be helpful!